Women’s Rights National Historical Park
Located at 136 Fall St. Seneca Falls the Women’s Rights National Historical Park consists of four major historical properties including the Wesleyan Methodist Church which was the site of the Seneca Falls Convention, the first women’s rights convention. The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House, the M’Clintonk House and the Richard Hunt House are also on display. The park includes a visitor center and an education and cultural center housing the Suffrage Press Print shop.
The Women’s Rights National Historical Park was created by Congress in 1980 to preserve and interpret the nationally significant historical and cultural sites and structures associated with the struggle for equal rights for women.
The first Women’s Rights Convention was held over two days in July 1848. More than 300 women and men attended the convention which marked the beginning of the organized women’s rights movement. The Declaration of Sentiments adopted during the convention and signed by 100 attendees provide the agenda for subsequent women’s rights activities. It begins with
When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one portion of the family of man to assume among the people of the earth a position different from that which they have hitherto occupied, but one to which the laws of nature and of nature’s god entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes that impel them to such a course. Read More